Wednesday, August 18, 2010

SURPRISED BY JOY

POST #5

Still recovering. No new nightmares since 
The Mourner's Comforter
--that "small, obscure book"

One nightmare close in memory
--a terrifying quagmire 

Feeling its repulsive grit
Swallowing me. 

Quicksand.

Searching bookshelves again
SURPRISED BY JOY
Bought years earlier
Set aside and forgotten
Now into it, seeking
All those British lit references
...Keep going

Aha. Page 237 

I know very well when, but hardly how,
the final step was taken.
I was driven to Whipsnade one sunny morning. 
When we set out I did not believe that
 Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and 
when we reached the zoo I did. 
Yet I had not exactly spent the journey in thought. 
Nor in great emotion. It was more like when a man, after 
long sleep, still lying motionless in bed, becomes
aware that he is now awake.*
~CS Lewis 

I understand, somehow, yet could I, too, ever be that sure?


* Quoted from Surprised by Joy, C. S. Lewis, page 237. Included in Not All Roads Lead Home, Jane Bullard. Emphases (italics, highlights) added.

Enhanced by Zemanta